University of Florida
The Southeast’s most comprehensive academic health center
At UF Health, we are committed to improving lives. As an integral part of the University of Florida, we contribute to UF’s ongoing recognition as a leading research institution. With more than $410 million in grant funding to support ongoing research, UF Health physicians and faculty are advancing new discoveries to impact health care locally, nationally and around the world.
University of Florida Health
Expanding Our Focus on Patient Care
The UF Health network of hospitals serves patients from all 67 Florida counties, from around the nation and from more than a dozen countries. And the family, as well as the quality of care, just keeps growing.
In 2017, UF Health welcomed two new facilities in Gainesville, the UF Health Heart & Vascular and UF Health Neuromedicine hospitals. In Jacksonville, leaders cut the ribbon on UF Health North’s new inpatient hospital.
UF Health has two major teaching hospitals, UF Health Shands Hospital in Gainesville and UF Health Jacksonville, each with a state-designated Level 1 trauma center and an emergency air and ground transport program serving neonatal, pediatric and adult patients.
UF Health Shands includes UF Health Shands Hospital, UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital and UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital. The system also features two specialty hospitals in Gainesville: UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital and UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital. Along with our sister hospital at UF Health Jacksonville near downtown Jacksonville, UF Health has a network of outpatient rehabilitation centers, two home-health agencies and more than 100 physician practice locations throughout north central and northeast Florida. UF Health Shands also owns a minority interest in four community hospitals in Lake City, Live Oak, Ocala and Starke.
In addition, a statewide presence exists through satellite medical, dental and nursing practices staffed by UF Health professionals and affiliations with community-based health care facilities stretching from Hialeah and Miami to Orlando and the Florida Panhandle. UF Health also is home to UF Veterinary Hospitals, which includes a small animal hospital and a large animal hospital.
Innovative New Research
UF Health is a world leader in interdisciplinary research. With nine major research centers and institutes, UF Health is focused on health issues of importance to Floridians. Clinical research is growing rapidly at our vibrant regional campus in Jacksonville. The institutes are designed to create collaborative opportunities that follow the continuum from fundamental research to clinical studies and trials to patient care.
Dedicated to Education
From the time of the health center’s founding in 1956, we have operated as a single academic enterprise dedicated to training a variety of professionals and to introducing knowledge that will safeguard the health of Florida’s citizens. UF Health encompasses the Gainesville-based colleges of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health and Health Professions, and Veterinary Medicine; the UF Health Shands family of hospitals; UF Health Jacksonville medical center; UF Health North; and an academic campus in Jacksonville that offers graduate education programs in medicine, nursing and pharmacy. The colleges teach the full continuum of higher education, from undergraduates to professional students to advanced postdoctoral students. Together with clinical programs and services across all six colleges, UF Health is helping to shape Florida’s future health care workforce.
Committed to Improving Community Health
UF Health hosts an array of community seminars, screening opportunities and health fairs to improve the health of the communities we serve. If you would like to be added to the mailing list to learn more about these opportunities, please visit UFHealth.org/events or call 352-733-0000.
Primary Care, Specialty Care and After-Hours Options
From sore throats to serious illnesses, UF Health is here to care for your family every step of the way. With 14 primary care locations across Gainesville and the surrounding areas and over 1,300 providers in more than 100 specialties, UF Health offers a continuum of care for you and your loved ones. Visit UFHealth.org/locations to learn more or to make an appointment.
- Emergency Care
- UF Health has four emergency centers at locations around Gainesville
- UF Health Shands E.R.1515 SW Archer Road 352-733-0111
- UF Health Shands Pediatric E.R. 1600 SW Archer Road 352-265-5437
- UF Health Shands Emergency Center – Springhill 8475 NW 39th Ave. 352-627-0400
- UF Health Emergency Center – Kanapaha 7405 SW Archer Road 352-627-0500
- Primary Care After Hours
- UF Health offers after-hours adult primary care appointments for patients of UF Health Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and Senior Care practices. They are open from 6 to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. For an appointment, call 352-265-1234. After 5 p.m., call 352-273-8613.
- Pediatrics After Hours
- UF Health Pediatrics After Hours offers evening and weekend appointments for children with urgent needs. Open 5 to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday, noon to 9 p.m. Saturday, and 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday. For an appointment, call 352-265-0724.
- UF Health ORTHOcare’s physicians treat sprains, strains, minor breaks and X-rays. Walk-ins and call-ins welcome, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday 5 to 9 p.m. For an appointment, call 352-265-BONE.
Health Colleges Offer Care
In addition to UF Health Physicians practices staffed by faculty from the UF College of Medicine, the other five health-related colleges at the University of Florida assist in the continuum of care for area residents.
- Dental Care: UF Health’s dental centers perform general and specialty dental care for adults and children in one location. Call 352-273-7954 or visit UFHealth.org/dental-care.
- Community Health Care in Archer: UF Health Archer Family Health Care offers high-quality adult, pediatric, psychiatric and women’s health. Care is provided by expert UF College of Nursing nurse practitioners. Call 352-495-2550 or visit afhc.nursing.ufl.edu.
- Speech & Hearing Services: The UF Health Speech and Audiology Center, part of the UF College of Public Health and Health Professions, provides a variety of services for children and adults, including evaluation and treatment for hearing loss, tinnitus and issues with balance, speech, language, swallowing and voice disorders. Call 352-273-5555 or visit slhs.phhp.ufl.edu.
- Psychology Services: UF Health Psychology offers care for those with chronic pain or illness, stress, anxiety, depression and general mental health issues. The practice also offers neuropsychological assessments, and for children, gifted assessments and treatment for learning disabilities and behavioral problems. Call 352-265-0294 or visit chp.phhp.ufl.edu/services/psychology-clinic.
- Pharmacy: Clinical pharmacists in the UF College of Pharmacy work with health care professionals to ensure optimal drug therapy and consult directly with patients to help them better understand their medications and address any questions or concerns. Visit pharmacy.ufl.edu.
- Veterinary Medicine: The UF Small Animal Hospital and the UF Large Animal Hospital offer a wide range of veterinary specialty services. For more information, visit hospitals.vetmed.ufl.edu. For appointments, call 352-392-2235 (small animals) or 352-392-2229 (large animals).