Decoding Emotional Intelligence and Human Behavior
By Laureen Young
Emotional intelligence, or EQ, is the ability to understand and manage emotions, both in oneself and others. It involves perceiving feelings, controlling reactions and utilizing this awareness to navigate social interactions effectively.
EQ fosters empathy. It enhances communication and promotes better decision-making. It is the secret sauce for navigating emotions, building connections and mastering success.
Core Elements of Emotional Intelligence
The ability to recognize and understand one’s own thoughts, feelings and emotions, as well as understanding their effect on others.
- Emotional self-awareness
The ability to manage one’s own emotions in positive ways to relieve stress, communicate effectively, achieve goals and overcome challenges.
- Positive outlook
The ability to understand how another person is feeling, empathize with them and adopt a different perspective on a situation.
- Group awareness
the ability to build and maintain healthy relationships with others, connect with those who have different perspectives, work well in teams and defuse conflict.
- Conflict Resolution
- Inspirational Leadership
Ways to Boost Emotional Intelligence
- Keep a journal
- Recognize emotional triggers
- Evaluate personal motivations
- Practice “feeling-predictions”
- Stick to a schedule
- Eat well
- Combat negative feelings with time spent outside
- Try breathing exercises or morning meditations
- Take a break from social media and make phone calls instead
- Take time to learn about other cultures
- Ask questions about others’ feelings and…
- LISTEN. Ask follow-up questions when others are sharing
- Set an intention each day for one easy way to build/enhance a relationship
- Remember to have an intentional tone of voice
- Once a week, adopt a “no negative comments day”
- Celebrate the success of others